GMI's research activities are supported by a world-class infrastructure consisting of the GMI's own services, including state-of-the-art plant growth facilities, shared core facilities with the Research Institute of Molecular Pathology and the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, and services provided by Campus Science Support Facility.
The facilities relevant to the GMI consist of:
- Molecular Biology Service
- Media Kitchen
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Protein Chemistry
In addition, all GMI staff and students have access to the Max Perutz Library located on campus. The library holds an extensive collection on scientific journals and books and offers electronic access to 1000s of the latest publications.
The GMI is also well equipped for computational work. In collaboration with the Max F Perutz Laboratory’s CIBIV (Center for Integrative Bioinformatics Vienna), the GMI operates a computer cluster with:
- 14 IBM HS22 8-core nodes, each with 48 GB RAM, for a total of 112 high-performance cores;
- 4 IBM x3950 24-core nodes, each with 512 GB RAM, for a total of 96 high-memory cores, and;
- 28.8 TB fiber-channel storage (IBM DS5100).
In addition, the GMI has its own file servers (Sun 7410 with 94 TB of disk space complemented by an Exonas system with 96 TB of back-up storage) and general-purpose computer servers (3x HP DL360 8-core, 48 GB RAM, VMWare server)