Dr Magnus Nordborg joined the GMI as Science Director in 2009. Previously he was a tenured Associate Professor at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, USA. Dr Nordborg is internationally recognized as a pioneer in the use of genome wide association studies to study patterns of natural variation in non-human organisms. In 2010 he was elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Also in 2010 he was awarded a prestigious European Research Council Advanced Grant. (View his CV)
Nationality: Swedish and American
- Swedish Defense Institute of Language/Uppsala University, Sweden, 1986.
- BSc: Lund University, Sweden, 1989.
- PhD, Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, USA, 1994.
- Postdoc, Department of Ecology & Evolution, University of Chicago, USA, 1994-1997
Current and Former Positions
- Department of Genetics, Lund University, Sweden: Research Assistant Professor, 1997-2000
- Molecular & Computational Biology, University of Southern California, USA: Assistant Professor (2000-2004), Associate Professor (2004-2011), Research Associate Professor (2011-present)
Awards, Honors & Fellowships
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow, 2003-2005
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2010
- "Trans national infrastructure for plant genome science" EC FP7 283496, total amount €4,349,700 (Investigator, minor fraction of budget [PI: EMBL], 2011-2014
- "Developing maximum-resolution genotype-phenotype maps using whole-genome polymorphism data" ERC AdvG 268962, total amount €2,183,956 (PI), 2011-2016
- "Starting from scratch: adaptation to variable environments after an extreme bottleneck", DFG SPP 1529, total amount for GMI component €228,510 (joint proposal with Weigel, MPI), 2011-2014.
- "The molecular basis of local adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana", NIH 1 R01 GM083068-01A1, total amount $2,470,000 (PI), 2008-2013.
- "Genomic analysis of the genotype-phenotype map" NIH 2 P50 HG002790-06, total amount $12,201,508(Investigator, major fraction of budget [PI: Tavaré USC]) 2009-2013
- "Integrated genetic and genomic resources for a model system" NICHD NIH, total amunt €240,000 (PI) 2009-2012
- ERC Starting Grant panel member (2013)
- Member of the Umeå Plant Science Center Scientific Advisory Board
- Member of the International Arabidopsis Informatics Consortium Scientific Advisory Board
- Member of the Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center Advisory Board
Click here for a full list of Nordborg Group publications.