Dr Karel Riha joined the GMI in 2003 as a Senior Postdoctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Foundation GMI Director, Dr Dieter Schweizer. In 2006, he was appointed a GMI Junior Group Leader and held the position of Deputy Scientific Director from 2007-2010. He was awarded a prestigious START prize from the Austrian Science Fund in 2008.
- MSc in Molecular Biology and Genetics: Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic, 1995.
- PhD in Genetics: Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic, 1998.
Postdoctoral Training & Positions Held
- Postdoctoral Research Associate: Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics, Texas A&M University, College Station, USA, 1999-2002. Laboratory: Dr. Dorothy E. Shippen
- Senior Postdoctoral Fellow: Gregor Mendel Institute of Molecular Plant Biology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 2003-2005.
- Deputy Scientific Director: Gregor Mendel Institute of Molecular Plant Biology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 2007-2010.
Karel Riha's teaching at the University of Vienna, Austria.
Honors & Awards
- Award of the Institute of Biophysics, Czech Academy of Sciences, Brno, 1998
- Award of the Minister of Education of the Czech Republic 'Talent of the year' for achievements in science and technology, 1999
- NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Science and Engineering, 2000
- Novartis prize for biology, 2007
- START prize from the Austrian Science Fund, 2008
Click here for a full list of Riha Group publications.