The Austrian Academy of Sciences
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (originally the Imperial Academy of Sciences in Vienna) was founded in 1847 to promote scientific research and freedom. Its headquarters are located in Vienna’s city center in the former assembly hall of the University of Vienna built between 1753 and 1755 by the French architect Jean Nicolas Jadot. The Austrian Academy of Sciences has two sections, the Section for Mathematics and Natural Sciences, and the Section for the Humanities and Social Sciences. Today, the Academy fulfils two main functions. On the one hand, its 90 elected full members and 250 appointed corresponding members form a scholarly society, on the other, it is Austria’s major supporter of research outside the university system, funding some 70 research institutions in both the natural sciences and the humanities. The Academy also organizes various events and lecture series, and supports established and young talented scientists alike through its awards and scholarships programs.
By founding basic research centers such as the GMI, together with the IMBA – Institute of Molecular Biotechnology and CeMM - , as limited liability companies under Austrian law, the Academy has embarked on a new approach to institutional organization.
The GMI is 100% owned by the Austrian Academy of Sciences.