Founded in Vienna in 1847 as the Imperial Academy of Sciences, the Austrian Academy of Sciences (Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften ÖAW) was originally formed to promote scientific research and freedom. Its headquarters are located in Vienna’s city center in the former assembly hall of the University of Vienna built in 1755 by the French architect Jean Nicolas Jadot. The Austrian Academy of Sciences has two sections: Mathematics and Natural Sciences, and Humanities and Social Sciences.
Today the Academy fulfils two main functions. On the one hand, its 100 or so elected full members and 250 appointed corresponding members form a scholarly society, on the other, it is Austria’s major supporter of research outside the university system, funding some 28 research institutions with more than 1100 employees in both the natural sciences and the humanities. The Academy also organizes various events and lecture series and supports established and young talented scientists alike through its awards and scholarships programs.